Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Some Potentially Good News!

The speech therapist called mommy back last night and gave us some good news. She went back and looked at my test, and after consulting with my G.I. doc, Dr. S., they are recommending that we try some of the thickening agents to help me start taking my formula orally. Mommy has placed an order for the stuff, called Simply Thick, tonight. Here's how it will work:

Each day, I get fed 7 ounces of formula, 4 times per day. I also get 6 ounces of baby food orally throughout the day. For the first five days, mommy will prepare 1 - 2 ounces of the formula thickened and it will be fed to me orally. The remaining 5-6 ounces will be fed through the tube. This will be done at each feeding. Assuming all goes well, the second five days will consist of me eating 3 - 4 ounces of my formula orally, with the remaining 3 - 4 ounces coming to me via the tube. The plan is to gradually get to the point where all of my formula is being fed orally. This would mean I could remove my ng tube. Once my vital stim therapist returns from vacation, we could resume that therapy to focus on safe liquid consumption.

So, this is a step in the right direction. I hope that I am able to tolerate the oral feedings and not get sick. Please keep me in your thoughts as we embark on this new endeavor. I just want to be able to eat like everyone else.

Emerson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home